Land Use Polygons

Land Use Land Cover (LULC) from the City of Columbia’s 2007 Natural Resources Inventory (NRI), a 6 class vector LULC based on 2007 6 inch 4-band leaf on aerial photography, covered approximately 75% of the study area within the metro area. The remaining 25% of the study area, mainly north of the city of Columbia, was not covered by high spatial resolution LULC. MoRAP developed a NRI-like LULC to fill in the gap.

The MoRAP NRI-like LULC is based on 2011 3-band leaf off imagery (provided by Boone County), 2010 4-band leaf on imagery, 2009 LiDAR DEM derivatives: slope and aspect, and a LiDAR digital surface model (DSM). All datasets used in classification were resampled to 1 meter spatial resolution. A supervised classification approach was employed to match the 6 NRI LULC classes (forest, grass, impervious, sparsely vegetated, crop, and water). A total of 3,000 training samples from the NRI dataset, 500 per class, were used to map LULC in raster format. Image objects were generated, using Ecognition software, based on the 2011 and 2010 imagery, to approximate the shapes and sizes of the NRI polygons. Each polygon was attributed with the majority LULC value based on the raster LULC dataset. The NRI and MoRAP NRI-like LULC datasets were merged together to create a seamless high spatial resolution vector LULC dataset that covers over 99% of the study area. There was approximately 100 acres not covered by LULC due to lack of data at the time of classification.

  • Land Use/Land Cover Type-LULC class types